Current:Home > reviews'I know how to do math': New Red Lobster CEO says endless shrimp deal is not coming back -Capitatum
'I know how to do math': New Red Lobster CEO says endless shrimp deal is not coming back
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 09:24:50
Shrimp lovers will notice a key item missing from Red Lobster's new menu.
In an interview with TODAY that aired Monday, CEO Damola Adamolekun announced that the seafood chain's revamped menu will include nine new items from a lobster bisque to bacon-wrapped sea scallops. However, he confirmed that the $20 endless shrimp deal has ended permanently.
"Relevant, compelling and exciting is what we want Red Lobster to be for the future, and so we’re working on that now," Adamolekun told TODAY.
Last year the seafood chain made all-you-can-eat shrimp a permanent menu item after two decades of offering it for a limited time. The decision, made by former Red Lobster CEO Paul Kenny, cost $11 million and saddled the company "with burdensome supply obligations" subsequent CEO Jonathan Tibus said in a May bankruptcy filing.
While teasing the possibility of the controversial item's return, current CEO Adamolekun decided against it, explaining that it's "because I know how to do math."
What are the new items?
Red Lobster's revamped menu includes nine new items, which have not all been revealed, Adamolekun said.
He teased following nine items:
- Hush puppies
- Bacon-wrapped sea scallops
- Lobster bisque
- Lobster pappardelle pasta
- Grilled mahi
- Parmesan-crusted chicken
"I expect a stampede into our restaurants because we’re bringing back the hush puppies," Adamolekun said, referring the item discontinued in recent years. "I stopped going to Red Lobster because they stopped the hush puppies. Since I was in college I love the hush puppies. I’m glad they’re back."
What has Red Lobster CEO previously said about ‘endless shrimp’?
Adamolekun has "always felt dubious" about the seafood chain’s decision to offer a $20 endless shrimp deal to its customers, sharing in an October interview with CNN that shrimp was a “very expensive product to give away endlessly.”
Red Lobster decided to make the deal a permanent offering last year, nearly 20 years after they only served it seasonally and for a limited time. The decision, according to Adamolekun, caused “chaos” at locations nationwide.
"You stress out the kitchen. You stress out the servers. You stress out the host. People can’t get a table," Adamolekun told CNN.
Adamolekun said in October he would consider bringing the deal back but made no promises, citing profit concerns.
“I never want to say never, but certainly not the way that it was done," he added. "We won’t have it in a way that’s losing money in that fashion and isn’t managed."
Who is the new CEO of Red Lobster
Damola Adamolekun was brought on to be the new Red Lobster CEO in August.
The Nigeria native joins the company after previous corporate experience as P.F. Chang’s CEO and Chief Strategy Officer, as well as partner at the New York investment firm Paulson & Co.
Contributing: Jonathan Limehouse and Amaris Encinas
veryGood! (261)
Related
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- 24 Games to Keep Everyone Laughing at Your Next Game Night
- How much is Klay Thompson still worth to the Golden State Warriors?
- Barbie Leads the Critics Choice Awards 2024 Film Nominations: See the Fantastic Full List
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- Apple releases iOS 17.2 update for iPhone, iPad: New features include Journal app, camera upgrade
- How much is Klay Thompson still worth to the Golden State Warriors?
- From bugs to reptiles, climate change is changing land and the species that inhabit it
- Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
- A volcano on Hawaii’s Big Island is sacred to spiritual practitioners and treasured by astronomers
Ranking
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- After 18 years living with cancer, a poet offers 'Fifty Entries Against Despair'
- EU unblocks billions for Hungary even though its leader threatens to veto Ukraine aid
- The Supreme Court will rule on limits on a commonly used abortion medication
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- The New York courthouse where Trump is on trial is evacuated briefly as firefighters arrive
- These states will see a minimum-wage increase in 2024: See the map
- Stalled schools legislation advances in Pennsylvania as lawmakers try to move past budget feud
Recommendation
Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
Mega Millions winning numbers for December 12 drawing: Jackpot at $20 million after big win
Israel-Hamas war tensions roil campuses; Brown protesters are arrested, Haverford building occupied
Mega Millions winning numbers for December 12 drawing: Jackpot at $20 million after big win
2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
Lawsuit alleges ex-Harvard Medical School professor used own sperm to secretly impregnate patient
Judge questions whether legal cases cited by Michael Cohen’s lawyer actually exist
Fake social media accounts are targeting Taiwan's presidential election